History of Bear Lake Memorial
"Montpelier Hospital" (1912-1945)|
The first building designed and constructed as a hospital in southeast Idaho was opened in 1912 by Dr. George F. Ashley on North 8th Street in Montpelier, Idaho. It was known as the "Montpelier Hospital" and operated 12 beds in the two story structure. The hospital closed its doors on December 15, 1945 and was remodeled into an apartment complex known as the Mary K Apartments. The building is now known as the Colonial Apartments, near Jensen's Market.
"Bear Lake Hospital" (1937-1949)
|"Bear Lake Memorial Hospital" (1950)
With a $200,000 county bond, a federal government grant, and donations from businesses and individuals, the community received a wonderful hospital at the cost of approximately $291,000. The facility was dedicated as a memorial to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice by giving their lives during the World Wars.
First Medical and Dental Staff of Bear Lake Memorial Hospital (1950)
|Dr. L.P. Gaertner||Dr. Reed J. Rich||Dr. R. B. Lindsay||Dr. H. H. King|
|Chief of Staff||Vice-Chief of Staff||Secretary of Staff||Medical Staff|
|Dr. Spencer H. Rich||Dr. Russell Tigert Jr.||Dr. D. N. Meek||Dr. Wells C. Stock|
|Medical Staff||Medical Staff||Dental Staff||Dental Staff|
2006 Skilled Nursing Facility Upgrade
The new wing featured vaulted ceilings, skylights, large resident rooms and a state-of-the-art bathing facility. The wing housed up to 15 residents and includes 5 private and 5 semi-private rooms, each room having its own half-bath. The bathing facility, funded partially through a generous grant from the Beckman foundation, included a tub that will allow residents to roll in on a bathing seat instead of being lifted over the side. This provided peace of mind for many residents. Approximately half of the cost of the wing was paid for with donations from the people of the Bear Lake Valley and nearby communities.